Wednesday 8 November 2017 – Wednesday 18 April 2018*
Ag Science Grinds: Leaving Certificate 2018
Taught by our experienced and skilled teachers in modern, well equipped labs, this 18 week course allows you to complete the practical and theory components of the Agricultural Science Leaving Cert syllabus.
The following is some information to enable students to get the very most out of the Wednesday evening Agricultural Science Leaving Cert classes in The Institute of Education.
1. The classes run for 2 hours each week from 5:30 to 7:30 pm. The classes will include teaching of new material and a test on the previous week’s topic.
2. Students will pick up the new material faster if they have read through the next topic BEFORE the next class.
3. The classes will have a lecture format and will move quickly and may be different to classes students already have in their full time school.
4. This course will require a lot of work and study outside the 2 hours of class time per week. Students must be aware of this and must incorporate their Agricultural Science study into their normal study week. Students should also note that the teacher will be giving a large amount of homework questions to be completed and handed up by the next class. Students will also be required to study for the weekly tests. Any student that cannot give this level of work and time commitment to the subject will not achieve their optimum grade in the final Leaving Certificate exam.
5. Students may leave the class and receive a refund of fees any time before the 2nd week of classes after this time it is assumed students are fully enrolled and committed to the course.
6. Practical lab classes and farm visits are also an essential part of the course, the details of which will be provided by the teacher in class.
1. Grassland including Grassland Management, Silage and Hay Making, Reseeding.
2. Microbiology – Bacteria, Fungi and Viruses.
3. Digestion and Animal Nutrition including Ruminant, Monogastric, Fowl and Horse Digestive Systems
4. Dairy Production – Calf Rearing, Lactation and Breeding Management
5. Beef Production – Beef Husbandry, Diseases, Suckler Cows
6. Sheep production – Lambing, Breeding , Diseases.
7. Crops – Disease, Pest and Weed Control, Soil Preparation, Cover Crops.
8. Cereal Production – Barley, Wheat, Oats and Maize
9. Root Crop Production – Potatoes and Fodder Beet
10. Plant Biology – Photosynthesis, Transpiration
11. Genetics – Genetic Crosses, Definitions and Applied Genetics
12. Soil Science – Composition, Structure
Experiments and Practical:
Farm Visit organised to both Beef and Sheep and Tillage Farms.
Experiments covered in the Lab Classes to cover each of the designated areas of:
a) Plant Physiology
b) Animal Physiology
f) Soil Science
|Start Date||End Date||Times||Weeks|
|Wednesday 8 November 2017||Wednesday 18 April 2018||5.30pm – 7.30pm||18|
The fee for the Agricultural Science course is €895.